Well, you can't win 'em all.
Made our way back to a Cay we had skipped earlier due to high winds and picked up a mooring. The evening started out wonderfully, dinghy exploring by the kids and cocktails on the deck. We called over to confirm a restaurant some new friends had recommended was open for dinner, it was. We made our way over and were rewarded with a lovely sight of hammocks, rope swings, ring toss challenges, and a beach; perfect!
As I was trying to hook my first ring and mom was deciding on a table chaos started to ensue which appeared as my family loosing their marbles and starting to slap themselves silly.
Some of us are more sensitive than others, Grandpa had stopped dead in his tracks at the bar when he heard the buzzing in his ear, Jamie was running over to alert us, and Robb's forearms were swarmed. We had timed our dinner to coincide perfectly with the mosquitoes' and no-see-ums'. We ran for the hills, a nice patron at the bar held out a can of Off but we were halfway down the road.
Strike two came down the road a bit at a place that had lobster, only lobster, and nothing but the lobster. Well and giant mosquitoes INSIDE their place. I am still questioning if it was even a restaurant.
We loaded back into the dinghy (not an easy task at low tide off a high pier) and made our way across the harbor to the marina restaurant. Strike Three, they weren't even open.
Back to the boat to call in a couple pizzas and draw straws as to who would make the run for them. (Robb and Bobby drew short.)
The weather that had flushed out our tormentors made for damp and stuffy conditions on the boat and when I tucked the kids in the dampness of their sheets was undeniable. A fact that did not go unnoticed as I switched beds with Jillian after a bad dream at 3am. (Hers not mine.) Ugghhh. Not a restful night.
I woke up to her and Robb making a fuss; their screen had not been closed and the morning assault of biting bugs was upon them.
Robb and I went up top to watch the early morning comings and goings of an island in the relative safety of the wind.
It was fun to see the uniform clad islanders board their island ferry for school and we swatted away the no-see-ums together.
He and the kids went across to check the Atlantic across the island and endured another onslaught, pushed past his limit Robb had the engines fired up before I could throw a cup of coffee down his throat.
I can't begin to report a bite count but I think this is a record for me and that is no light statement. Jillian is walking around with a pad of rubbing alcohol and offering swipes to the inflicted.
As the world tends to do the balance of the day brought us back to a happy tether. We had our first opportunity (wind and weather cooperating) for snorkeling off Baker's Bay and were duly rewarded. The girls and I then finally got to Shell Island while the boys fished, neither party was disappointed.
We made our way back to Treasure Cay where Robb's buddy was meeting us to deliver a Hog Fish which we had all been dying to try, the rumors proved true to their word and along with Bobby's jack we had a fantastic fish dinner. The squall that blew in only made us smile as we were safely snug in the cabin playing euchre and eating pie.

No comments:
Post a Comment