Gypsy Souls

"Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Bahamas

I can't get pictures yet, but I'm working on it.
The following is the beginning of the log I've been keeping for our latest adventure and I wanted to get what I have up and go from there.
I've been away from this forum for so long I've forgotten how to be brief and I don't guarantee any editing finesse. 


Cheryl Ann Adventures
or if it were up to us
Neverland, a Provost Recess Excursion

Saturday, December 9th

Crying day as we said goodbye to the Thornhills, it was an incredible couple weeks in a beautiful local. The ‘off’ week was definitely preferable but who would have known if we hadn’t experienced the holiday rush? We miss them already and hope their re-entry is smooth and enjoyable.

We drove down with a Boodle to Marsh Harbor, though really taxi travel without a Boodle is rare in these parts.  Even in an Excursion we were cramming bags between legs and at feet, and this was packing light?!?! Arrived at the Moorings and must admit the luxury of the car and its air conditioning was much welcome on this hot, humid day.

We were the only people at the orientation briefing which was nice but we missed others’ questions which can be helpful in things like this. It definitely helped having spent the past three weeks in the area and being familiar with most of the cays our new friend Rosie was telling us about. She did an excellent job familiarizing us with the routes and inside tips of the Abacos and giving advice for places we might enjoy. Grandma guarded our luggage like the KGB. We did throw Rosie for a loop with the extent of our planned tenure on what we now knew to be the Cheryl Ann. A nautical South Bend-y feeling name if only for the cruise club association. The Cheryl Ann is a 47’ power catamaran. I’m sure there are more technical ways to describe her but I don’t have the brochure in front of me so that is all I can report with any degree of assurance. We had the green light to go to the Exumas if we so desired and had learned about some hidden treasures that Abocos held for us.

Now we were ready to board our home for the next three weeks. To say we were impressed would be a gross understatement, though I am confident that we held it together if only in our outward appearance. We waited to be out of sight to jump up and down and say just nine words in rapid succession; OhmyGodohmyGodohmyGod!

It was more than we had hoped for and more perfect than we could have imagined. Rosie led us around in an efficient and knowledgeable tour (only overwhelming a few of our crew) and we were free to move aboard. Though that was all we could do as we had skipped lunch and were now running on elated fumes. We made our way to the harbor bar where a pimped out version of the Cosby show was celebrating some event, possible the arrival of Saturday. I’m sure a more current reference exists but eschewing TV has left me with a dated and trite reference.
The food was superb and did much to toast the beginning of our adventure. I’ll spare you the details of the negotiations to determine the jr. room assignments but it would put Parliament to shame. Luckily, the negotiating parties  were seated at a different table so the deliberations were relatively painless. I can only imagine what Jamie will be giving her siblings when we return to land but as of now she has secured her own private cabin.

We went back and enjoyed cocktails and moved in to our cabins. Port Aft to Robb and I, Bow to Jillian, crew berth further forward to Bobby. Starboard Aft to Grandma and Grandpa, Bow to Jamie. Surprisingly our fleet of duffles and backpacks all found homes and there were closets and cubbies to spare. 

Robb and Dad had their own adventure gathering a few groceries and libations which involved enough excitement to render Dad quiet and chugging water for much of the evening. Not a small feat. Glad to report he has made a full recovery from the excursion.
Exhausted from the day we all retired early and happily tucked in for our first night.
Maybe a bit too early as Robb and I were up and at ‘em at 2:30am but we managed to go back to sleep for a bit.

Sunday, December 10th

Waking up on the water is one of my favorite things to do. Bar none. My only “complaint” hahahaha would be that the catamaran design does not lend to rocking, but is incredibly stable. Well there it is; the worst thing I could come up with.

We woke up to rain and figured out a few quirks with the water pump and were all fed and ready for the 8:15 Barometer Bob’s weather report on Chanel 68. Rain, wind, and waves were in our forecast.
We had determined Hope Town as our first destination and the weather wouldn’t be an issue in the short trip.

Failing to locate a scrabble game to purchase we were otherwise ready to move out. Rosie came by to send us off and spared us the self education of how to get the loop off the pier poll. How our planned method would have looked, I can only imagine.
Jamie had entered our first waypoints into the GPS and Robb followed them like a pro. The systems all worked as promised and the first journey was a smooth one. We pulled into Hope Town and snagged the first buoy we saw, on our first pass no less. The lighthouse was our closest and unobstructed view.
Then we stood there and held the lines like idiots. A couple well meaning instructions from our new neighbors helped and we were tied off like pros, well like Provosts at least.

A well deserved beer over a gourmet Top Ramen lunch has never tasted better. And finally the moment Bobby had been waiting for, salivating for, campaigning for, finally arrived. We lowered the dinghy into the water and set off to explore. Oh the joy of that boy was palpable. He drove it like he has been doing it every day and we enjoyed a lovely tour.
It was the first or three or four that day and each of the kids took their turn, proudly, as captain. Sitting back on the deck our first visitor of the day, a sea turtle, swam by to welcome us. And, don’t think I’m exaggerating; he waved. Welcome to Hope Town indeed.

Naps, reading, and general laziness ruled the day and it was the perfect itinerary for a happy crew. The previous weeks of family, beach, memorials, swimming, dining and general chaos which was so enjoyable but exhausting all the same had taken its toll and some quiet time did much to refresh our captain and crew.

The evening’s meal of hamburgers fried up (a charcoal grill, really? Hmmm, the stove it is, for tonight) and dishes washed up we all settled in for some quiet chit-chat. Albeit under the Vegas strip like light show named the Mighty Aphrodite. Dinner is on mom tomorrow as as much of a show as they were, they did not have a crew. I’m going to keep a close eye on her betting methods since usually the argument is who gets to pay for dinner, but for this one contention I’ll go with it.

 A knock on the window from Jamie and Robb, who had been enjoying the stars on the upper deck, alerted us to our next round of visitors, the ones I had been waiting for since we dreamed up this adventure; dolphins. They played with a school of fish for hours delighting us with their play and speed. A couple other boats nearby enjoyed the show as well and we ended up going to sleep to the sound of our friends blowing breaths as they swam by our window late into the night.

First full day and the trip is complete, where do we go from here?!

Monday, January 11th, 2016

Waking up to a view of the Hope Town light house will not be forgotten easily. We made breakfast sandwiches and lazed around the boat checking out our neighbors. So lovely.

Not to say the boat is large but as we were showering and getting ready for the day Dad went to see if mom was done, he went into his cabin, no Grandma, went into his head, no grandma, confused he turned in circles and only then did he realize; he was in Jamie’s cabin.

 First outing Dad, Jamie, and Bobby dropped Robb and I on the pier so we could go explore the lighthouse while they went to town to grab a few groceries. Jillian elected to stay with Grandma so she didn’t have to get out of her comfy pajamas and would have a captive to play war with. Lucky Grandma.

Robb and I checked out the marina and restaurant and after several attempts found our way to the lighthouse. 101 steps would serve as about our first exercise in a while so we did it at a rapid pace. The view gets better and better as you grow more familiar with the area. We learned how the mechanism worked and were enchanted with the whole experience. We met a nice couple from Annapolis volunteering at the lighthouse gift shop and quizzed them on their Bahamian experiences. Of course, the fact that they had second cousins from Coeur d’Alene didn’t hurt. Most people give us a deer in the headlights look when we tell them where we live, followed by a vague reference to potatoes or if they’re really worldly; white supremacy groups.

They mentioned their boat was the Dragon which Jamie had pointed out earlier given her fondness for the mythical creatures, when I knew the location they were pleased and invited us over for a tour sometime. We didn’t get the chance which is sad because boats, like houses, I never tire of tours. It helps pass the time when I am awake at night and have new floor plans to mentally move in to. 

We all reconvened for lunch. Dad and the kids had found cinnamon rolls and had whet their appetites before our offerings. Looking over the charts and with much pendulum swinging we decided not to pursue a route to the Exumas this time around. The number one reason was no one’s desire to be stuck for several days waiting for good weather for crossing, followed closely by the fact that there so much to explore in the Abacos which I don’t remember, Robb and the kids have never seen, and Mom and Dad are far from tired of. The tempting clearer waters and warmer temperatures of the Exumas will probably call us back this way someday but nobody is disappointed with our current plan.

Robb, the kids, and I went over to town, we had our first of what I hope is not many, tears over driving the dinghy, I am proud to report they were not mine, though when someone who I won’t embarrass by naming, took the handle away when I was docking. It could have gone either way.

Our mission was to check on bicycles but didn’t find the shop until after they closed, no worries, just exploring for them was well worth the time. The flora and fauna of Hope Town sneaks up on you and continues to surprise as you look closer and closer. We watched a boat choose an interesting anchorage and lolly-gagged up and down streets with brightly colored cottages and homes.

We decided to cash in our crew bet from the night before and went to Harbour’s Edge for dinner. The picnic tables of 26 years ago have been replaced by white table clothes and fancy bathrooms but the food remained amazing and everyone was pleased with their order. Being the first meal that included vegetables in a while I think some of our systems were shocked.

Later, I had heartburn for the first time and am not a fan. Back onboard, the adults officially started our euchre tournament and are still debating what the overall prize should be. Distracted by the important task of determining the prize, I bombed the first night. At least I didn’t have to chew gum at the same time.

Tuesday, January 12th.

I feel like I should stop using dates because I don’t want to fixate on where we are in the trip, but to just enjoy it as a way of life for now.

Robb woke up with a hankering for a breakfast out and we were all only too happy to oblige. We opted to try the coffee house and were rewarded with actual coffees (you know, lattes, mochas, and more) and delicious quiche and muffins. I think the kids could have ordered another round but little treats are good. We savored our experience and sent the kids out to explore. They are spending 24/7 on a boat with us and yet still returned ever 4 minutes to give us reports of their findings. Baby steps.

Grandpa took us to Vernon’s market and we decided to forgo the vegetables we’re all craving, then he informed us the other market was much better for produce. When asked why the first stop he admitted he liked the signs the Vernon’s. Todays’ sign: “I didn’t come on vacation to loose weight or save money.” Funny but it didn’t beat the original sign from years ago, which premiered the day after Dr. Atkins’ left us; “Atkins is dead, eat bread.”
The next store was much better and we have peppers and squash to prove it.

We said goodbye to Hope Town and are en route to Little Harbour. The weather is fine, mostly cloudy but with patches of sun and the water seems calm thus far.
The crossing was exciting. A couple areas of fairly large swells made for some fun stomach dropping moments. The kids learned that when Daddy yells sit down, it is wise advice.
After a snacky lunch of cheese, apples, crackers, and left over grouper bites I decided to do yoga on the bow.
Yes, a sober and conscious decision to attempt a practice that I have neglected for months on a boat crossing in 7 foot swells. It was a lot of fun. I know the benefits of meditation and quieting the mind but right now crazy balancing and some stretching and moving is what I really need.
We arrived in Little Harbour and successfully moored on our first attempt:  “two for two, that’s our crew!”
Dad and the kids and I took the dinghy over to pay the mooring fee and explore, mom and Robb opted for a little quiet time.

We discovered that in the slow season Pete’s is open Thursday through Sunday. Today is Tuesday. We had planned one night here. Hmmmm, we might need to reassess. Nobody was around to collect the money so we headed down the road and out to the old lighthouse. Through the jungly path and over the coral cliffs we came to the place that Aunt Bette, Uncle Ted, Mom, and Dad had scattered Thee’s ashes years ago. We lost him in 2003 and we estimate they made it down here around 2006. It is a magnificent setting. The waves crashing in from the Atlantic into a huge coral cliff with a small inlet that creates an impressive spray. We scattered Aunt Bette and Uncle Ted last week just around the corner in a calm bay and the juxtaposition that was just perfect. The butterfly that greeted us as we started up the path and then followed us out on our exit may or may not have been a little greeting and good-bye, but it sure made me smile. I don’t think this is the last time we will visit this spot but I sure am glad this is where I can picture them all in my mind.

We walked back to the dock and ran into Pete himself. We paid him the mooring fee and he relayed his feelings of being a rich man. Dad is just finishing the book of the story of his father Randolph who brought his family over in the 50’s to settle on a private island and lived in the caves I can see through the port windows over mom’s head right now. I’m looking forward to rereading the tale that gave one family to opportunity to live in a way that they saw to be the best for them, even though it didn’t look like the way everyone else happened to be doing it. Feels pretty familiar.

It’s raining now and Bobby and Jillian are fishing off the stern of the boat, what a cozy evening. It is as quiet as can be and a nice gentle rain is just what you could hope for. Goombay Smash in hand I’m enjoying the quiet contentment that has fallen over our little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment